Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Obama got Osama

I went to bed early Sunday night and Brad called me at midnight to tell me Osama had been killed.  I immediately went to my BBC app and watched the news.  I did see the crowds in front of the White House, but I didn’t go.  I was more interested in watching the news.
Yesterday, I walked home, and I changed my route to walk by the White House to see if there was still a celebration going on.  There were a few people.  I couldn’t make out whether they were there to celebrate or whether they were tourists.  I did notice that makeshift picket fences about mid-thigh high had been put on the lawn near the White House fence.  They were most likely for crowd control.
All the talk in town is about what this will mean for Pakistani-US relations, which were already tense to begin with.  There is a congressional hearing this Thursday on Pakistan that I will be going to.  Ironically, it was scheduled before Sunday night’s events.

By the way, if you are interested in our foreign relations with Pakistan, I suggest you read about the Kerry-Lugar bill.  This will add another interesting dimension to how things will play out in the future.

1 comment: